Fashioned by God of all, Souls’ ultimate purpose in our lives is to seek the absolute truth, seek it’s creator, seek piety and purification, to cleanse the heart and to transform oneself to find God. And then there is Self, the lowest part being clouded by greed, lust, self-centred, egoist part of our being. Lower self leads away from the soul, the truth, and the highest and noblest part of the self brings closer to God. A soul is part of you that is neither you can touch, nor your ego’s should be able to touch. It lives, when you live, it Lives, when you don’t live.
The Soul, of which Bulleh Shah tells you to visit more often as you visit Mosques or say Prayers, for He believes, God dwells in your hearts. My post in the past “Silence – If you can not yet be the tongue of God, be an ear.” speaks very much about talking to yourself, and see what dwells inside you.
Soul, what is it’s purpose, what is it’s definition, what is it’s goal? Is it just the job description, and the marriage certificate that you have to follow, and then a few birth certificates that you have to hold accountable for you not being able to understand your soul, or in best case, to understand your soul. Soul is more than just a Job Description, more than a responsibility.
The purpose of soul is not predefined, nor every soul’s purpose is same, the purpose starts from the very first question you ask from your soul, “What’s the purpose of life?”. According to Sufi Hazrat Shah Inayat Khan, Each soul has its own purpose, but in the end all purposes resolve into one purpose, and it is that purpose which is sought by the mystlc. No matter, what you sought, the right or the wrong, at one point in life, you will come to know a purpose, but the real difference is whether the purpose came walking unto you, or you went seeking for it. Purpose, realization, looking into your soul deep inside comes with self-realization, and seeking.
Hazrat Shah Inayat further quotes 5 desires that help one in accomplishment of inner purpose, and it is the fulfilment of these 5 desires that makes a soul’s purpose accomplished.
- Desire to Live, which brings one closer to the his/her real life.
- Desire to Know, which brings knowledge of the purpose of self-being, the creation, the creator, the reality.
- Desire for Power, which brings in a touch with the Power of Almighty.
- Desire for Peace, when one finds peace in crowds, and when one becomes capable of breaking all barriers between him and peace.
- Desire for Happiness, when one finds happiness, independent of everything lies within one’s own heart.
Every soul has a definite task, and the fulfilment of each individual purpose can alone lead man aright; illumination comes to him through the medium of his own talent.
Bowl of Saki, July 7, by Hazrat Inayat Khan
- The soul’s true happiness lies in experiencing (teachingsofmasters.wordpress.com)
- Spirit can only love spirit (teachingsofmasters.wordpress.com)
- Our spirit is the real part of us (teachingsofmasters.wordpress.com)
- Hazrat Inayat Khan (sourcewatch.org)
- Every soul has a definite task (excerptsandm.wordpress.com)